Friday, April 16, 2010

Census

I have been unable to avoid advertisements for the 2010 census. On billboards, on television and radio commercials, pointless letters to say it's on it's way, and even on e-mails from my county library. I understand ads are not made to be ignored but, at this point I really am tired of them. The ads were out at least a month before the forms were sent out and haven't seemed to slow down. Unfortunately, I have heard that the jobs given to part time workers has been somewhat pointless as well. Is this really a good way to spend funds?
During a time of low state and federal budgets I also wonder what this all costs. I wonder if a decade will be long enough to recoup the losses. As they continue to tell us that filling out the forms will bring money to your community I can't help but note how expensive a 20 second commercial is. I have bad news for the census office. I doubt these efforts are convincing many (if anyone) to fill out the form. If people want to fill them out, they will. If they don't, then well...

No comments: