Saturday, May 15, 2010

An Example to Others

About two days ago I did something that surprised me somewhat. I refused an award I believe I didn't earn. Why did I make that decision though? I see it as part of my moral make-up and my own honesty. I hope this is a sign of having my moral compass set in the right direction.

Humans see themselves as different from other animals because we have morals. Personally, I think most of our morals are really about keeping things peaceful and orderly above all else however there is no doubt that our societies need them. The question is how do people use their morals in everyday life
as they all are vague ideas and opinions. This requires a moral compass. Most people's compass relies on churches or guilt. Even if I followed the line I can't say these have worked well for me. Even with years of going to church and attending a baptist school things like W.W.J.D.?(What would Jesus Do?) didn't really motivate me. Instead I have really relied on what I felt was right in my gut and the old mantra about onto others as you would want done to you. These have not always worked however.

I take my decision as evidence that I have possibly found the compass that works for me. A recent conversation led me to realize that I will have people who look up to me in the future. From my own children to a stranger who might admire my work. Even now (by some odd freak of nature occurrence if you ask me) there are those who look up to me. My every act should show and protect this fact.

No comments: