Monday, May 10, 2010

The More things change....

Living in America I can not help but to notice the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. The daily news coverage and conversations continually bring it up. In truth I'm not angry at the company, though I know their mistake will mess up the environment. I'm merely reminded of the mantra that the more things change, the more they stay the same. People get complacent and mess up. It's a pattern of our lives. It happens on all levels; companies, regions, even the workers who are at risk. I have seen it in others and even in myself as I don't back up a computer or don't make sure I keep in touch with a friend.

The news coverage of the oil spill is also a laugh though. When it first happened there was less coverage. While I understand that as the number of gallons grows it becomes more interesting this is also unique because the solutions are getting more desperate. By desperate I really mean random and seemingly pulled out a very worn hat. We have gone from robots to chemicals to a big box and finally to throwing garbage at it! This would be hilarious if it wasn't true. It reminds me of a child who throws their project on the floor believing that it will somehow make things easier. I guess no matter how advanced we get we can't help but to just throw our hands up when things get rough.

1 comment:

Brandy Ruiz said...

I was just watching this on the news today. Obama was talking about it. What a mess! It is kind of funny though.