Sunday, May 2, 2010

Lioness

My friend recently told me that she thought that she had never been anyone's muse. In reality she has been a great force and example to me and others. I had written an acrostic poem I was going to give her on her birthday but maybe I'll give this one to her instead.

Lioness
Lioness,
We hear you roar.

You, ready to change our desolate future.
Past battles, fiercely fought, show on your face blending dark and light in a unique culture.

We who care worry and to ourselves murmur.
You bare your teeth in a snarl or smile.
Which do would we prefer?
Will you wear down taking on the world?

There in a hint of weakness in your eyes,
vulnerability of care.
Will you cry?
Seems unlikely as your beauty and strength carries on.
When you bear your claws we stare in awe.
That's when we decide we are ready to prop you up if you fall.

2 comments:

Brandy Ruiz said...

I really like this poem. It's powerful.

Afro Al said...

Thanks. It was written for a powerful person.